Sunday, November 20, 2011

Little Things

I just wanted to share a great experience I had on Friday afternoon.  I am extremely lucky to be called "teacher."  It is a profession I enjoy and love.  Yes, some times it is hard and emotionally draining.  But somedays make up for all the others.  I had a day like that on Friday.  We were at our final recess, right before we went home when they reminded me of something I had forgotten long ago.  

These Kindergarten students work very hard when we are in the classroom and when it time for recess they burst out of the doors and lap up every minute they get.  It usually consists of tag, slides and running around screaming.  This recess started out exactly like that.  However, after a few minutes it quieted down and as I looked around to see if anything was wrong I noticed about half of the students had laid down on the sidewalk, were talking quietly and pointing to the clouds.  


It was beautiful seeing them enjoy something together.  As I walked towards them I thought it was so cute the way they were talking and agreeing with one another.  I stood next to them and looked at the clouds and could kind of see what they were talking about.  Then I decided to lay down next to them, and something magical happened.  I was instantly transported back to the wonder of childhood.  There was something about laying down and looking at those clouds, the same clouds I saw when I was standing up, but something had changed.  Images jumped out at me and I found myself giggling at the same things they did.  I could see the world through their eyes.  In that moment I was grateful to be their student.  


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Clouds too. Not the stormy ones I saw in Utah last Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *LOVE* that you laid down with them. <3 <3 <3 (~Joye)

    ReplyDelete