Well I am still plugging away at it. I started with the flowers. They are finished except for the embroidered vines. They look pretty much the same as before except now they are appliqued down. I am really happy with how they turned out.
After the flowers were done I started on the leaves. This is where I started having a few headaches. The leaves are paper pieced, which was not hard.
I pieced each side separately, cut them down and then joined them together with a skinny stem. Then the headaches started. The instructions said to piece each leaf into the block with curved seams. I hate curved seams! I guess I just haven't pieced them enough to feel comfortable with it yet. So I decided to bag the curved seams and just applique them on top. Oh, that was easier said than done. I usually starch the seam allowance down, glue it on and then sew. Well I was afraid the bulkiness of paper piecing wouldn't iron down. So I drew the seam allowance line on top and then used the needle turn applique method. It worked, but it took forever. It was hard to get a nice curve where there was a lot of fabric to turn under. Finally it came together to look like this.
The flowers were added after the leaves and I still may change the centers to a dark green color. Not sure yet. I was really hoping to have it completed this weekend and I might since I don't have to go to work today.
I laid a few pieces out to see what they would look like together.
I think I will really like it. I'm worried the background fabrics contrast a little too much. Hopefully it will look alright when it is finished. I'm glad it will be done soon. I have so many other quilts I want to start on, but I told myself I wasn't going to start any new ones until I had one finished.