Thursday, January 26, 2012

My "No Make-up" Day

Yesterday when I woke up my oldest daughter was not feeling well, not well enough to go to school anyway. I couldn't get a sub until an hour after school started so I had to go into school for just a bit. With all of the running around and phone calls I did not have time to put on make up. I don't wear a lot of makeup, usually a little foundation, neutral eye shadow, eyeliner and mascara, but my eyelashes are as blonde as my hair so I knew it would be the topic of the day. I was surprised at how big of a deal it was. 


Here are a few of the conversations I heard during the hour I was at school.
 Girl 1- you know, yesterday Mrs. Henrie was normal.
Girl 2- yea?
Girl 1- but today she is not normal.

 During my reading group the boys were very curious about my different look. The conversation went something like this.

 Me- do I look different today?
 They all nod their head.
 Me- I am not wearing any makeup today because I was helping my daughter who is sick.
 Boy 1- yea teacher, yesterday you didn't have all of those lines on your forehead!

 Later in the group when I was helping a student one on one -

 Boy 2- teacher can you put some glasses on or something because you are starting to creep me out. 

Another girl asked one of the aides "What is wrong with Mrs. Henrie she really doesn't look good today?"

 Five year olds have the best comments! They say exactly what is on their mind. I laughed and laughed about it all day.
It doesn't bother me because I don't mind if I am wearing make up or not and it makes all of their comments about how much they like school and like my like my class more real.

Someday I'm going to write a book with all of their funny comments!

1 comment:

  1. LOL!!! My favorite is, "teacher can you put some glasses on or something because you are starting to creep me out." I think I would have been tempted to say "BOO!!" after that comment. hehe I hope L is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete