Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Really Long Post!

Well I have been absent for a little bit, but I have a good reason!  So this will probably be the longest post ever.
Okay, first Design Star Challenge 1 is in the voting stage.  If you haven't checked it out yet head on over, you can click on the link on the right or follow it here.
It was a lot of fun to make this quilt.  I started by designing different versions on EQ7, then for some reason it became really stressful.  I started to worry about what everyone else was making and if mine would even be comparable to the other finalists.
Anyway, I finally decided that the only person I needed to please was myself.  Once that was out of the way the rest was a blast.  It was so much fun when everything was coming together.  I would get a little rush of adrenaline when I added the next step.  Don't act like you don't know what I mean, I'm sure you get a little excited as well!!!  I am glad it is finished and I'm in love with it.  So please vote!!!

After all of that sewing we decided to get away.  Actually we were invited to go camping with my brother and his wife.  It was their one year anniversary and they wanted all of us to go with them.  How sweet! They are the best and it was really fun for our whole family to be together.
We went to Calf Creek in southern Utah.  It is amazing country if you have never been there.  The first day we hiked to some slot canyons while my mom watched all the little kids.  Thanks mom!!  We hiked in Peek a Boo and Spooky.  It was breathtaking.  I really can't remember which canyon each picture was taken in, I won't even try to label them correctly.  


My husband and I at the mouth of one canyon.  We had a few pictures taken and my eyes were closed in both of them, darn it!

My husband and father in one of the wider parts.  
The internet warned if you were more than 42 inches around you would not fit through the canyon.  They were right!!  Throughout most of the hike we had to walk sideways holding our backpacks so we would fit through.  At one point we had to slide down some slick rock to get to the canyon floor.  The only problem was it was a pretty big drop.  We slid down as far as we could go then my husband lowered us down by our arms as far as he could and then he dropped us, and my brother caught us.  It was great!



The rock formations were beautiful.  Everyone kept commenting on how much they loved being there and experiencing something so wonderful.


One more picture of the inside of a slot canyon.  
As we walked through Spooky Canyon we noticed these interesting clumps on the side of the canyon walls.  When we looked a little closer we discovered they were nests of Daddy Long Leg Spiders.  EEEWWW!  There were 50 - 100 in each nest and they were only a few inches away from our faces.  I hurried through that part quickly! 

Yucky spiders!

 The next day our whole family hiked to Lower Calf Creek Falls.  It is a three mile hike in and then the same 3 mile hike back out.  Our kids were so great, they didn't whine at all, even though it was really hot and sandy.  I think they kind of enjoyed it!
The water fall was amazing.  It is 120 feet and it has beautiful canyon walls that surround it.  However the water is freezing!!  It really is ice cold, I only went in far enough for our family picture to be taken and that was enough for me.  My husband swam underneath the falls and then back and that was enough for him.  He is such a show off!



I think we have had enough adventures for a while.  Check back to see what I am working on now that Challenge 1 is almost through.  

1 comment:

  1. I saw Anne's quilt today. The picture does not do it justice! It is beautiful. Go, Anne! I hope you win.

    ReplyDelete